Store HistoryPaul Family Serves Forks for 50 Years
The Paul family moved to Forks in 1951, to purchase the Forks Grocery and Feed after selling the family dairy farm in Port Orchard. Warren W. Paul and his Father, Bert. M. Paul, were partners in the operation. It was located on the property which later became the Forks Boot and Shoe (Peninsula College purchased this building in 2000 and it is now their new campus in Forks).
In 1961, Bert M. Paul retired and Warren decided it was time to make another investment in the community. The old wood store was demolished and a new cement block building was built and later became Paul's Serve-U.
In 1973, the decision was made that Forks needed a regular supermarket and Warren Paul took in Bob Green and Mike Philips as partners and they built the Forks Thrifty Mart on the South end of Forks which is its current location. An early addition of an extra building later became the Ace Store and in 1995, a new addition to the front of the store added a Deli/Bakery, Espresso Bar, and new Service Center.
Bert W. Paul and his wife Martha purchased the store in 1984, and are now working on succession plans with their son and daughter, Bruce Paul and Jeanne Gilmore. The Paul family has served Forks for fifty years and are looking forward to many more. They truly love Forks and appreciate the support of the community over these many years.